Sorry I don't post much anymore. I guess it just doesn't get priority in my schedule. Regardless I think talking about my wedding is a valid reason for a post even though almost everyone who reads this was there.
I was told multiple times going into Saturday that I wont remember more than 10% of the day so let's see how close I come. I suspect this will be one very long post so reader be warned.
This past weekend I tied the knot to a beautiful, amazing girl who I am thrilled to now call my wife. Most of you call her Amanda.
The weekend/week started on Tuesday really. Tuesday was my last day at work for a week and it was a pretty standard work day until near the middle/end. I stepped away from my desk for a moment and came back to find a card on my keyboard. Awesome I thought, put the card in my bag and didn't say anything. Then I came back from lunch to another card. A bit shocked I put it in my bag and figured I would open it once I left. When I got out to my car after work I opened both cards to find 2 nice gifts, one from the company I work for and another from my coworkers. I was really surprised. I mean at my old job i had signed cards for people but never been asked to donate to a present or anything. It really made me appreciate how glad I am to have made the decision to move companies.
Wednesday was a day of preparation and cleaning. Crazy insane cleaning. This apartment was cleaner than ever before, quite possibly including when we moved in. Wednesday night Joe arrived via Greyhound and Amanda and I went down to get him, following which we had dinner at the Winking Lizard at Gateway.
Thursday was more prep and more arrivals. A trip was made to pick up all the tuxes and a LOT of rock band was played.
Friday everyone else got to town shortly before the rehersal. Kooz and Kim, Ben and Emily, Nick, and my sister and her kids all stopped by the apartment in the early to mid afternoon. It got kind of insane at some points. At one point my apartment was Me, Joe, my Mom, Jennifer, Maureen, Jeff, Austin, Julia and Joe Henke. We got most everyone in on a game of rock band, found out the tuxes fit just fine and shipped a few people off before my Dad arrived to try on his. Once that was done Ben, Emily and Nick arrived to try on and hang out. Around 5 it was time to get ready for the rehersal. The rehersal itself went pretty well, the entrance worked with a small amount of confusion and people realy seemed to like Fr. Andy.
The rehersal was followed by dinner at Tizzanos. First thing that was a bit odd was that we didn't have the whole restaurant like we thought we would. There were a couple other couples there but i think we originally told them a few more people so that makes sense. I couldnt get myself to eat much for a couple reasons. First my nerves were finally starting to set in and second I had made a point to have Amanda and I give a bit of a speech including a short spiel about each of our groomsmen/bridesmaids. I hate public speaking so i was nervous about this. It turns out, based on third party reports, that we did just fine. I have a tendency to get a shakey voice when speaking and it happened then too but by the time i got to my fourth person or so i was good.
Friday night following the dinner a few people came back to the apartment for a glass of Joe's Blue and some chill time. Then bed.
Saturday - the big day (what can i remember) - was spent running around. First thing Nick, Joe and I drove to LaMalfa and dropped off my car, set up the cookie stands amanda and I bought and got my dad. Nick drove us back to the apartment. We then dressed quickly and my dad called my grandparents because he forgot his tie. Around 1130 we headed out to the church in Jeff and Jens minivan.
Once at the church i basically did nothing but pace and get my picture taken for an hour and a half. I was nervous that my dad had no tie yet, was nervous that the flowers wernt there and most of all was nervous about all the people that would be watching amanda and my every move. I was NOT nervous at the prospect of getting married. Seriously, it never crossed my mind. If anything the only thing that ever did was the opposite, that the choice I made was the best one I have ever made.
I also spent a lot of time with my Newphew Austin in the Sachristy. For a 10 year old he did a great job of keeping me calm and smiling. He didnt even know he was doing it but I'm glad he was around.
At a quarter of 1 I was told to head to the front of the church. I almost saw amanda but was quickly rushed back by a sea of red groomsmen. Once the doors were closed we lined up and were off. Standing at the front of the church with father some weird things crossed my mind but most of all I couldnt help but think "Why is everyone standing already? I'm not going to be able to see Amanda until she gets all the way down the aisle." Oddly enough as soon as I thought that they all sat down. Then the doors opened. All the groomsmen and bridesmaids were lined up in front of Amanda so that all I could see at first was a white shoulder. With nothing but love for the rest of the wedding party it's amazing how you can look straight through people. The only person besides Amanda I even vaguely remember coming in that procession was my sister and that's only because I beifly saw a glimpse of a tear.
One odd thing i do remember is seeing Nick and Kooz roll the aisle runner out, learning over to Father and saying "I may have overestimated their abilities to talk in a straight line" :-) It was a bit of a ) shape.
Finally they all walk off to their sides and I can see my beautiful bride standing beside my soon-to-be father-in-law. Amanda choose the traditional "Here comes the bride" for her entrance music and it began. As she walks down the aisle, quickly at first then slowing when Ken reminds her I had no thoughts, none, in my head. Seriously I was mentally numb. I suppose if thoughts could have existed it would have been pure unadultured happyness, a sense of relief, a vision of beauty, or maybe just a "thank god she actually showed up."
She reaches the front of the church and steps aside for her Father, Mark to lift her Veil and kiss her. He lets her go back into the hands of her step father Ken who walks with her a few more steps. He stops, I approach. He kisses her gently and whispers congratulations, a extremley rare expression of effection from a typically stone-faced man. He shakes my hand and says something I sadly don't remember. He places my hand in hers, we ascend a few stairs to take our place and the mass begins.
Here is where things get a bit fuzzy. I know who are readers were and I remember listening attentitivley while they read but my images of it are distorted. I do however remember Father Andy's homily. An excellent one where he spends time asking the audience for those who have been married the longest. Finding 3 couples, friends of Amanda's family who won at close to 60 years, my grandparents and their friends the CeCeres. He solicits their advice. Bits about keeping Christ in your relationship, being close, never going to bed angry, all normal fare. However one can't help but think that for those whose love remains 60 years later maybe the simple pieces of advice are really the important ones. The homily continued with reognition of family and friends, words of wisdom from a relativley young man who I am glad was our facilitator for the marriage.
The wedding continue and the order alludes me. At one point we did prayers of intention. My brother-in-law jeff read them and the one that mattered to me was a word of dedication to those who have left us. My grandfather and late cousin amongst them.
At some other point, posibly before all of what I just descripted we said our vows, exchanged rings, and lit a unity candle. I found out later that we "forgot" to blow out the side candles representing our families. In reality I didnt know we were supposed to and I prefer the sumbolism of not doing so. While we may now be a family our families on either side still exist.
At the end of the service we gathered again in front for a final blessing. At this point was a moment that I believe communicated to the whole audience why I love the woman I married. Amanda fought with her beautiful yet exceptionaly long and large dress all day. With no maid of honor to help straighten the train I bent down to help toward the end only to have her beat me to it, by kicking this elegant dress behind her like a common piece of nothing. The audience laughed and I did too. To me this symbolizes the approach she takes to things in life. Nothing is ever to fancy or too impotant to not be dealt with.
Anyway a final blessing was given and finally the moment everyone loves to see. The priest steps away and says "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce to you for the very first time as husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schramm...." hmm... I stood there for a moment not knowing what to do. All the groomsmen were whispering "Joshua, Joshua... his name is Joshua..." After about 10 seconds i said "meh fuck it close enough" and kissed my bride. We start down and father corrects himself as we walk away. Oh well not important and as far as I'm concerned the rest of the wedding was excellent so no big deal.
We run out of the church and around the side, opting not to do a receiving line. The wedding party gathers everyone around and hands out bubbles for a grand exit. Amanda and I sneak back in the back door and ready ourselves to exit. We walk our the doors get halfway down the stairs and here a collective sign/exclamation. Oh crap...
We look to the right and find a group of people gathered around what looks like a wedding guest. We come to find out it is one of our photographers laying on the ground after falling off a ledge trying to get a picture of the exit. She took a mean fall straight down on to the pavement from a 3 foot ledge. Her first reaction I find out is to ask "Is the camera ok" which I find amusing only because on the same situation I could see myself doing the same thing. Several of our guests are nurses or doctors and they rush over to help. One person yells "Someone call 911" followed by "Who is calling, i want to know which of you is calling (a great idea by the way to combat group apathy)"
2 groomsmen, in reality i think 1 groomsman and ken run across the street to the firehouse to get an amblance. They show up with flashing lights and sirens and treat her. I spend the time running to friends finding those I know who are professional or amature photographers to ask for their help if needed for the rest of the night. It may seem selfish but my real thought was this. Our other photographer was the one who fell's husband and if she needed to go to the hospital I would expect him to join her, wedding be damned. How could I expect otherwise having just committed to my wife to essentially be with her through sickness and health. That being the expectation I needed to find alternative options for getting pictures taken.
Fortunatley she appeared ok, stood up and spent the rest of the time at church applying ice packs to her wounds. I assume her husband took her home after church.
Our other photographer took on sole duty for the rest of the wedding and took a ton of great pictures.
Following photos at the church we loaded into the limo with our driver Tim and headed off to Chagrin Falls. We honestly couldnt have picked a better place to go. The falls were amazing and we got a lot of great pictures. I will put someon my picassa in the next couple days.
Following Chagrin we stopped at the apartment to let the puppy out and pick up a couple left things. Also it was fun to have a limo in my apartment complex.
We then finally headed to LaMalfa and prepared for the reception. Th entrance was scheduled for 6:30 and we arrived around 5:45 so we had a bit of a wait. Amanda and her girls went into the bride room to fix her dress and apparently eat appetizers of which i got none. Bastards. Anyway i did get a drink and spent the time chatting.
6:30 came and we made our entrance. First the party entered to Sandstorm, a very typical techno song. Amanda and I entered to my choice, the throne room theme from star wars episode 4. Not her favorite song or movie but she couldnt come up with an option and I was happy to claim it as one of my only solo decisions for the wedding. it was all worth it when Jeremy said "Star Wars?" with a knowing smile on his face.
We then cut the cake with the full face coating of course and sat down for dinner. Speeches were given. First a tag team of Joe the best man and Ken my now father-in-law. Then Anna the maid of honor. Dinner was served and was delicious. Seriously delicious. Once dinner proper was done Amanda and I walked around to say hello to everyone but she also had to fix her dress again at this point so I did a lot of that solo.
Following a brief intemission the dances began. First was Amanda and I dancing to one of our favorite songs, Michael Buble's Everything. This was followed by Amanda and her father Mark dancing to Daughters by John Mayer. Finally myself and my mom (who looked stunning) dancing to Louis Armstrong's What a Beautiful World. This was to be followed by another slow song for Amanda and I to dance to joined by everyone else. Unfortunatley Amanda had to step away, however my sister, being ever observant, stepped in to fill her shoes and the night continued as planned. Then with everyone on the floor we got into the fun music.
At this point most of the reception is a blur except for a couple points.
First was the bouquet / garter toss. The DJs did a great job of getting everyone eligable gathered and amanda tossed her bouquet to the arms of my 8 year old niece Julia, cute but not the original plan called for the recipient of the garter to place it upon the leg of the lady who caught the bouquet. This was cut a some point (probably a wise move) but because of it the bouquet had to be passed off to someone a bit older. Amanda selected Anna the M.O.H. and Julia placed the bouquet in her outstretched arms.
Up next was the garter. The DJs had asked me a couple nights before if I would be willing to do something called Strut, Dance or Crawl. I agreed and was seated in a chair opposite amanda. The DJs asked the audience if i should Strut to her, Dance to her or Crawl to her. By applause I felt the result was tied between dancing and crawling, so i did both. Finally once i reached my bride they asked HOW i should remove it, by hand or teeth. I'll let you guess which one won. Finally i tossed the new prize into the audience to be caught by my cousin Matt who ran off with it promptly. :-)
The next memorable event was being pulled 5 ways simultanously. My family wanted a picture, omeone wanted to do a shot, Mark my father-in-law wanted to smoke a cigar, Kathy Austin wanted to dance and finally Sweet Caroline came on so I needed to join my UD friends. With apologies to all Niel Diamond won. Back in our normal circle we sang sweet caroline fieldhouse style.
The last 2 thing i remember during the reception proper were the UD kids singing You Lost that Lovin Feeling and Clarance Carters' Stokin at the end of the night.
Oh and the DJs played our song again to close the evening, I was a fan of that idea.
At the end of the night Amanda and I escapped to our suite with a trey full of presents and turned in.
All in all it was a great time and I hope everyone else felt rhe same way. I have one more post to do tonight about some of the organizations that helped make it so great and soon I will post about our honeymoon in Niagara. Thanks to all of you who read this who came.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment