Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Building a Personal Internet Brand

This is a bit of an odd topic for a blog that generally is about my personal life. However you may have noticed I'm using my real name for this sites url. There's some logic behind that so i figured I would go into it a bit.

In the past 5 or 6 years the notion of social networking has taken off like gang busters. Myspace, friendster and a few others started it out but now you have twitter and friendfeed and all these other services. I was talking with a friend about this the other day and decided that if used correctly a person could actually "brand" themselves by taking advantage of the plethora of stuff on the web.

So for the past couple months everything new i have signed up for i have used my real name. Im working on building an internet brand. If your active in the tech community or even pay attention to it from a 500 yard view you know the names of people like Robert Scoble, Michael Arrington, Leo Laporte, Kevin Rose, etc. etc. Most of these people did big things to get them name reconition so they deserve it but i always wonder what it would take for people to recognize someone elses name. The other advantage to the whole internet brand thing is that it is really easy to send someone to your account on a site.

So if you stumble upon a new site and find a JoshSchramm as a user there's a good chance it will be me.

Now for some plugs / examples of this.
www.twitter.com/joshschramm
www.digg.com/users/joshschramm
del.icio.us/joshschramm
friendfeed.com/joshschramm
and of course
joshschramm.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Rajeev said...

I wonder how much of a pain it must be to get first in line to get that username...

Then again I am sure Rose, Scobble and company must get their names stolen all the time on social services these days

Josh Schramm said...

I bet Rose, Scobble, etc. have friends at a lot of the startups that let them into the betas early enough to get their names. Plus many companies have "public figure" clauses in their terms of service that basically give them license to turn over a user name to someone else if you register a name associated with a public figure.