Monday, May 5, 2008

Full Integration

I have been on a bit of an integration kick lately. I will explain but first know this is a bit of a geeky post so bear with me those of you (i think like 2) who read this and aren't interested in this stuff.

Ok so my goal as of late has been trying to integrate everything i have to work well together. Im tired of having all this tech in my apartment and not really being able to use it well. So to that end I have done the following.

1) Ive set up a file server on my windows machine. Now im storing any tv shows, movies, music, etc on it (all perfectly legal of course.) This frees up a substantial amount of space on my laptop that I can now devote to more "professional" means. Right now that means getting VMWare configured with Visual Studio 2005.
2) Im in the process of identifying a file format i can use that will play on my mac through iTunes as well as be able to be streamed to my xbox via my windows machine. So far i think it has to be the apple format but windows media player wont read that so i need to find an old copy of the software xbox used to use to stream content.
3) Im debating setting up a domain server. You see amanda's machine broke and she lost her stuff. Im thinking it might make sense for me to move her docs to a shared folder and set up offline file mode.
4) I need to get backup setup on that server or i could be screwing myself.
5) Ive got my calendar at work set up to sync to google calendar, which then syncs to iCal on my laptop. So i have one central calendar now. Kinda.
6) Im now using my gmail account as my primary email account. My FWD mail goes to it and i load it via IMAP into mail.app or just use the gmail client at work.
7) This blog is part of the integration kick. Now i can use google reader, mail, apps, and blog with the same login.
8) Next i wanna set up a folder action in OSX to automatically send any docs i have to google docs. I just think that would be neat.


I don't know why im bothering with a lot of this. Just seemed like something to do i guess but so far it's coming along.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting. Is it time to go home yet?

matt said...

new name: joshgasm